Oak Grove School District’s Premier Arts Showcase
Please join us in celebrating the cultural and artistic
talents of Oak Grove students. Admission is FREE,
but a donation from you will help support arts
education programs in our schools.
Edenvale Community Center
330 Branham Lane East, San Jose, CA 95111
Visual And Performing Arts Program
The Visual and Performing Arts program components:
- 3rd Grade Vocal Music Students receive vocal music instruction for 45 minutes once a week. Students learn simple notation and songs along with rhythm and movement.
- 4th Grade Recorder/Vocal Music Students receive music instruction on the soprano recorder to gain basic music literacy skills. The recorder’s small size, easy fingering, and low cost make it an ideal instrument for beginning music students. 4th graders also receive vocal music instruction for 45 minutes once a week, which include vocal techniques, music reading, and music terminology. Students learn a variety of songs including folk songs from the California Gold Rush.
- 5th Grade Chorus/Art Students receive vocal music instruction including vocal techniques, breathing to sing, ear training, and music terminology in this exciting program. Students learn popular and patriotic songs which are performed in a concert. 5th graders also receive hands-on art classes for 45 minutes once a week.
- 6th Grade Art Students receive hands-on art classes which give students experience with various media and styles.
In addition to the regular school day VPA program, Honors Recorder, School Chorus and Honors Chorus instruction is offered on an extended day basis (before/after school/evenings) to students at no cost:
- An after-school School Chorus Program is offered in every elementary school for students in grades 3, 4, 5, and 6. A culminating performance for the school community takes place at the end of each semester.
- An after-school Honor Chorus Program is offered to students in grades 4-6 who have an interest in learning to sing advanced music with two and three-part harmony. Students must audition for membership and must have prior chorus experience. Auditions are held in September and February and rehearsals run October through May. This District-wide chorus performs at a winter and spring concert and other district and community events.
- An after-school Honor Recorders Program is offered to students in grades 4-6 who achieved “Black Belt” status in their recorder studies. This program is designed to allow students a chance to use their skills in a performance-based program. Honor Recorder meets on a weekly basis throughout the year and performs with the Honor Chorus in various district events.
- Beginning Instrumental Music instruction for students in grade 6 is offered at each intermediate school for the entire school year. Students may choose instruction on one of the following five instruments: flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, or trombone. Typically, these bands perform in two or three concerts per school year.
District Administrator – Raji Musinipally
(408) 227-8300 ext. 100263